Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Hiking and meltdown

So I decided to take the kids to Douglas State Forest in Douglas today. I wanted to go here because within the forest, the states of Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island meet and there is a marker there. That sounded cool enough to check out.

We got there around 10:30ish. I put Erin in my new carrier and Kevin led the way "reading the map." We had to follow the Midstate Trail which is marked by a yellow triangle. Kevin was good at finding the trail markers but we eventually got off the trail. In looking more closely at the map, I realized that it would be much too far to hike this way and decided to abandon it. The kids played for a while near the lake and swamp where Erin got filthy dirty...and I didn't have a change of clothes. After a snack we headed out.

I decided to stop at the headquarters to see if there was another way to get to the Tri-state marker and the guy gave me a better way to hike. We went there and hiked...and hiked...and hiked. I could not find the darn thing and we just kept walking and walking. We did come to the border of Massachusetts and Connecticut and saw that marker which was pretty cool. We walked deeper and deeper into Connecticut and Kevin was losing it. I gave up and we turned around after about an hour and headed back to the car. Kevin had an epic meltdown and I carried him every now and then. I just let him plop down on the ground and I would keep on walking knowing he'd catch up. If I kept on stopping, we'd never finish.

After about an hour, we made it back to the car where I had to change Erin's mega poopy diaper and get poor Kevin a drink - he was so hot and red.

I checked out where the marker was when I got home and it looks like we were pretty close but I just misread the map. Oh well, I will check it out again sometime again, it's not too far away. But even though we didn't see the marker, we did see a deer along the path so there was some reward.

No comments: