Tuesday, April 26, 2011

History day

I never watch Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" but I heard he recently did an episode on Boston so I watched it late last night on On Demand...what a great show, I will be watching it more now. My man Howie Carr was in it and most of the show focused on Southie. One place outside of Southie that he visited was a seafood place called Belle Isle Seafood which is in East Boston right on the Winthrop line. The highlight of this place is its lobster roll where you get 1/2 pound of lobster! I've been wanting to visit Belle Isle Marsh Reservation and this lobster roll looked too darn good so I decided to take a ride down to visit both places.

The restaurant is very small, there is a "bar" that seats less than 10 people. The lobster roll was $18.99 which included fries. Yikes, don't tell my wife. With tax it came to $20.32 so I didn't even have enough money to get a drink. The food came in less than 10 minutes and it was a heaping of lobster, so much that much of it fell out of the small hot dog roll. But man was it good - tons and tons of lobster that was so fresh and succulent. I took my time eating it and savored it. There was a couple there who must have also seen the show as I heard them mention Boudain's name. This place must be making a killing off the show.

Belle Isle Marsh is literally across the street from the restaurant but I didn't see any parking and it didn't look like much at all (I should have looked more closely at the website and the map before I left). So I decided to skip that and head to Lynn/Nahant Beach to get a stamp Kevin missed when we were last there. But at the last minute I decided to head over to the Saugus Iron Works National Historic Site. I have my own stamp book of all the National Parks in New England and I figured since I was so close, I may as well stop in.

I grew up 10 minutes away from this park but I never once went there. It is located right off the downtown in Saugus and is a full recreation of a iron works site that was constructed by the Puritans in the 1600's. The only original piece is a small house where they believe the supervisor lived. I don't think they get many visitors as the lady working in the visitors center was talking my ear off! She was pleasant to talk to though. The grounds are beautiful and I was more impressed with the recreation than the actual history of the place. The angle is that this was the place were the Puritans became self-sufficient as they perfected making iron. The site itself was only in existence for 30 years or so and it was excavated and recreated in the 1950's. I watched an interesting 12 minute video and then walked around the grounds. It was nothing too exciting but the care and detail into which they did the recreations was amazing, especially the giant (and I mean giant) bellows.

From there I decided to take a ride over to Minuteman National Park in Lexington. I've been there a number of times but figured I'd go get the stamp. I watched their 25 minute movie/presentation and then took a ride over to the North Bridge area, about 10 minutes down the road in Concord.

I think tomorrow I will take the kids to Douglas State Forest which is located on the border of Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. How cool does that sound?

No comments: